Friday, May 10, 2013

Penguin preschool

I decided to get creative since story time is cancelled for the summer (lame)

We actually made this sort of nest at story timein wilsonville for owls.  I thought it was a good idea. We used almonds for eggs.  Anna remembered from one of our books that they only let 2 eggs!
Anna did all the gluing and coloring on these penguins I thought up.  Then I got on pintrest and saw a million of 'em.  And I thought I was so clever........
Anna could actually do a color by number.  I was amazed.  I need to color with this girl more often.  She wrote penguin all by herself. I helped her with Anna.  She can't get those darn N's right.
After went to the aquarium where they have an amazing penguin exhibit.  We saw displays about all we had learned.  They even had a little computer game with quiz questions about penguins.  It's been fun learning about penguins with Anna.
We checked out 30 penguin books at the library, but these are our favorites.

A few penguin facts I learned today

All penguins live in the S. hemisphere (sorry Santa, no penguins at North Pole)
Penguins eat fish whole and can keep it n their tummy for three days.  At three days they can regurgitate food into their babies mouth.

Some penguins live in hot places on the cast of Africa

Some penguins build nests under ground

Yellow eye penguins live in the jungle and make their nests in trees

Their predators are leopard seals.

There are 17 species of penguin.  Emperor Penguins are the largest.

They are cool.

We also got the movie "tappy" from the library.  It's about a tap dancing penguin.

Today we also watched these u tube movies to further illustrate points from the book.

Actually I cant get a video on here since in the blogging app.     We watched "empower penguins feeding" from natal geographic.  When the seal gets the penguin Anna says "this movie is scary I don't want to watch this". Then she was so happy he got free.  Me too, that was pretty graphic!  I'm not sure how he was going to go about eating that penguin.

Well Anna is done In The shower.  Time to put my little penguin in her jambos






1 comment:

Liv said...

Good job with those projects!

The Murray library is still hosting story time/play group throughout the summer. Come join us!