Before the viewing Thursday night, Bryan and Elizabeth (3) came to play. They brought uncle Taylor along before he headed to the mountains for the summer. I fed them all lentil sloppy joes and tabbouleh. the joes were a bit crunchy, but we still ate them!
It was good to see the family gather for the viewing. I'm going to be grim and critical for a moment, Grandpa did not look good at all. I was happy he could leave his body behind! Anna was very concerned, she didn't think it looked like grandpa either. She was CONVINCED it was not him. It was odd. But she's still a little young, so I'm not too concerned. My aunt holly who has been taking care of him the past few years said that when they were getting him dressed she put his socks on. Grandpa had bad circulation and every time I went over there I put his TED hose on. It was a big job that took 5 minutes! Holly said his feet were skinny and normal. She said she was happy he could be in a place where his feet were not swollen any more. Me too.
Friday morning Bryan and Elizabeth stopped by again to play and get ready for the funeral. I was glad they came because Richard had to work and I was having a hard time getting out the door. this is Julia and uncle bryan playing with snaps.
At the funeral, Bryan said the family prayer and blessed that we would be comforted. Grandma has some dementia and was sobbing very loudly. It was hard to see her that way. We all said our last goodbye's, starting with Uncle eric, then we went into the chapel of their wardhouse for the funeral. Anna wanted to be with my aunt Annette the entire time. She sat on her lap during most of the funeral. I spoke first. All the grandkids sent good memories of grandpa, so it was easy for me to put together a tribute.
Grandpa's gravesite is in the Wasatch Lawn Memorial Gardens on about 3300 S in Holladay. His site is in the Mt Olympus park. Which is fitting because he lived below and loved mt. Olympus.
Julia and uncle andy.
anna and Elizabeth covering their ears during the salute.
flag. anna standing by grandma Elaine and aunt Annette.
cousin colton and grandma Elaine.
my family and grandma, she wouldn't look at the camera.
mom, dad and grandma.
aunt Annette, uncle eric, anna, grandma, mom. in the background is holly and my cousin Isaac.
I had to go back because Julia left a toy at the grave site. I was the last one there. It was really sad to think about grandpa, being there, all alone, while we go on with our lives. I think as long as we live them well he will be happy with us. But my heart is still a little sad.
Then we headed back to the chapel for the luncheon. Anna and Elizabeth were playing on the stage and pushed a giant vase of apple branches on the floor. what a mess. anna was very tired, so we didn't stay long and headed home.
Unfortunately she didn't fall asleep on the way home. But bryan and Elizabeth came over to play, so it was alright. They had a great time in the sandbox, it would be fun for them to play more often. Elizabeth got a little dirty.......
When Julia woke up from her nap we headed to amy's inlaws property in morgan to have a family campout, which was a really fun time....the kids played on the swings and tramp and we played baseball and badmitton -
then Julia was following Richard to the tent to get her jammies on. She got distracted and went by a baseball game. Amber accidentally hit her in the face with a bat. I thought she broke something. But I got ice on it quick and gave her some Tylenol and she stopped crying after a bit and went to bed, so I figured she must be okay. It's just going to be a big swollen black eye for a few weeks.
Anna didn't sleep. she woke up having to pee pee and woke up the whole camp saying: I DON'T HAVE TO GO POTTY! After I took her potty she went back to sleep. That girl. In the morning we had bacon, eggs, pancakes and sausage. Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that Kelby's mom bought all the food for us as a tribute to grandpa. how kind!
After cleaning up camp, we went to amy's and hung out until moma nd dad came back (they didn't sleep over). Then we all went hiking up snowbasin. Rich and Kelby went for a bike ride. We found some snow to glissade on. We went back to amy's then went home to work on our garden. Richard's parents came.
at the trail head.
Evan (6), anna (3), Jane (3), Elizabeth (3), Remi (4), Amber (7), Chloe (6)

We have been busy! And it's just going to keep going until winter!








No comments:
Post a Comment