Sunday, June 8, 2014

Busy!

we've been trying to get our garden in shape.  It was a GIANT weedpatch.  I wish we would have taken a before picture!  Oh well.  We are trying something I read about a long time ago, it's called solarizing the soil.  Essentially you put plastic airtight over the soil and let it sit for 6 weeks.  It's supposed to eliminate nematodes, harmful fungi, bad bugs and (most importantly) weeks.  So we pulled the weeds, tilled the soil, leveled the soil, picked out rocks, topped it with manure (to up the heat factor), watered it 12 inches and this morning we covered it with 4 ml clear plastic.  I hope it works!  We plan to leave it on until the plastic deteriorates.  It may be that we don't take it off until the first snow and just plant next year.  We will see.

We also chopped down a bunch of dead branches off the trees around the house.  We have a BIG pile in our driveway.  I went out for a run on Friday morning.  when I came home, our next door neighbor Nick Watts was chopping up the branches we had left on our lawn.  Then he put them all in his trash can.  How kind is that?  We've got some good neighbors.

Yesterday when we got home from funeral and family festivities, our neighbors rang the doorbell asking if they could bring over and set up their old swing set.  the girls love it.  These are the same neighbors who let us borrow their tiller.  We really moved into a great place.

I am not sure what we plan to work on this week.  Our new doors come June 17th (we have 2 really bad glass doors that need replacing REALLY bad).  I'm sure we'll find something to do outside!

No comments: