Saturday, July 13, 2013

an excessive book history party

As my sister says, "with your first you do all sorts of crazy things, like extravagant birthdays."  Yes, you are right, I probably won't want to do this again in the future.  Actually, I will, but I won't likely have weeks to prepare like I have here!  I thought it was fun but possibly a bit excessive and I worry that I spoil Anna too much.  But oh well!  Can't be a fuddy duddy tightwad all the time I guess!

So Anna requested a book history party for her birthday.  Yes, she likes museums and books.  But she also likes ponies, so I added in a bit of pony.  I saw a cake that I fell in love with and had to make her.  It took a long time but was SO MUCH FUN.



We took went to a chalk art festival a few weeks ago.  A few days after that my nieces painted with chalk on our foundation of our apartment.  The two mingled and I decided to make a chalk mural for anna for her birthday on our foundation.  I've been drawing it for weeks.  It too was SO MUCH FUN.  Shown is fancy nancy, chicka chicka boom boom, little critter, fred and ted, little blue truck, curious george, not the hippopotomus, strega nona, hungry catapillar, tawny scrawny lion, madeline








I didn't take a picture of the party favors, but Anna and I make signs that said book worms, she colored them.  Then we researched the history of book worms and typed it up on the label.  We put gummy worms in a sack and put the label on.  Then we went to savers and bought 50 cent books for the cousies.  We also made some book plates on the computer.

We made banners out of old books and coloring pages (above and below table).   Anna did the pasting and some cutting (she still hasn't mastered that skill).  The tablecloth is a sheet, isn't it cute?

I planned kid friendly food based on books.  Stinky cheese man, cloudy with a chance of meatballs, pb+jelly sandwiches, if you give a mouse a cookie, i like fruit, peter rabbits carrots, green eggs and ham (sandwiches).  Mostly the food just got devoured, which is good.  Rich helped me with the purchasing and Joyce helped with the cooking (thank you Joyce!  I would have never got done without you!).


Then for the activities we made party hats out of construction paper.









And....what anna loved the most (more than presents even she reports!) was the plays that everyone performed.  Most memorable to her was aunt amy's stage.  Most memorable to me was aunt viriginia's dinosaurs and grandpa being the big bad wolf.  We put them all on you tube in case you want to be bored!  Although we missed most of gpas becuase we ran out of space.  So fun though.
the crowd just before starting.
 the York's performance of "three little bears"
 the Heiner's Performance of "how do dinosaurs say goodnight" - anna loved it as you can see
 the Heiner/York/Buhler performance of "The 3 Little Pigs"
 Grandpa Heiner was hilarious, esp when he got boiled in a pot.
the Buhler's performance of the Little Red Hen was adorable.  Especially Julia who was the Goose (she ate the goose).

So yeah, then I was hoping no one would bring presents, but they all did!  And so!  Anna had a bunch bunch of stuff to open and she was polite.  Though I wish she would have said more thank-you's, I don't know what to expect for a three year old.
 best family photo we got.  Julia in a choke hold with her belly out, rich and I look good though.
 Stack of presents from Grandma Heiner
 PONIES PONIES PONIES!  Grandma H knows how to please!
 bike basket from Daddy.  We wish she was more excited about riding the bike.
 Dino tail from Aunt Virginia, so cute.
 Books to go with the Dino tail.
 Sand and Water table from Aunt Amy.
 Beautiful dress from Uncle steven.  WHERE is the picture of grandma buhlers present????!!!  I think I was too excited about it and so I was looking instead of taking pictures.  They got her some books that I am really excited to read to her, a dress that everyone gushed over and a soccer ball, that she wanted to share with Remi.
Later, in her room playing ponies with Aunt Jilly.
 Brave sing-a-long starring Aunt Amy
 Cherie divvying out the cotton candy!
 Playing with Balloons.
 cotton candy coma.  if blue food dye is toxic we will all be dead tomorrow.
 the MEN
 again....blue food dye.


 the day ended with multiple rainbows, the smallest of which I got a picture of.  Pretty fitting for a rainbow pony birthday cake.
 Some games of hide a seek, ring around the rosie and red-rover-red-rover
 and remi drinking rain water after the storm (it pounded just when the party was finished)
zacharie

It was so much fun.  A lot of work but I liked it.  I love my family and like to plan fun things for us to do together.  Thank you for all the love you give to Miss Anna!

4 comments:

Joy said...

Even though I celebrated three birthday parties yesterday, I was thinking of y'all too. Wish I could've been there, but the photos and murals were great. Love that mural, and of course Julia ate the goose. :)

Nicole, I love that photo of the four of you. You and Rich look great, Anna is showing her sister 3 year old love the best way she knows how, and Julia is doing her best impression of a 45 year old beer belly totin' red neck. :)16 month old babies can totally pull that impression off. :)

Jessica said...

Thanks for inviting me to your blog! What a fun party. I am constantly amazed at your creativity and talent. The mural was incredible. I'm glad you took pictures!

Trina said...

Amazing!!! That's all I can say! The chalk drawings, the cake, the good ideas, the story telling ideas... I don't think there is anything that could beat it! I am in awe!!! What a perfect party for Anna! And what a lucky and very loved little girl!

Kristin said...

Holy Moly! You put all of us to shame! I can't get over your mural and our cake. I knew you could draw, but had no clue about your cake decorating skills! What a super, fun, perfect-for-Anna, party. You're such a great mommy to your girls.