Sunday, July 7, 2013

Wall Lake and Holbrook Canyon

We originally planned to go backpacking this weekend.  Since July has 4+ messy diapers a day we decided against that idea.  So instead we left friday morning to day hike in the Uintahs.  We went to Wall Lake and wished we could have hiked further.  We love the Uintahs, we love the way it smells, the way it looks and the way it feels (a lot cooler than the valley).  Anna loved it too.  She hikes 2 miles without complaining, which is a breakthrough.
 She wanted to fishin in this puddle in the parking lot.  We didn't let her carry her fishing pole very long, major distraction.
 Sweet baby julia.  She didn't fuss a bit on the hike.
 Julia only wanted in the water a little bit.  She thought it was too cold at Wall lake.
 Anna and her daddy fishing.  They had one on annas line but it got away.
 Anna couldn't get enough of the water.  She peed her pants and we let her roam around naked till they dried.
 What a cute little hiker!
 The girls.
 Since anna hiked so good we gave her a sucker at the end.  Julia ate hers on the way up to the hike.  But she really wanted annas.  Luckily anna is a doll and is very good at sharing.
 We stopped at rich's uncle's house and chatted with him and cousin Cooper (in Peoa).  A thunderstorm rolled in.  I love the smell of summer rain on a dirt road.  They had some horses behind their house and julia was scared of them and their cat.  Goofy girl.
 We slept over at aunt amy's house in Morgan that night (anna and rich in a tent, julia and i inside).  Then rich, kelby and I went for a 30 mile bike ride in the morning.  After our ride we drove up to bountiful to hike Holbrook Canyon with Grandma Heiner!  So fun to take my mom up there!  I used to trail run this as a teenager.  I have a lot of good peaceful memories up this canyon.
 Jane fell asleep on Kelby's back.
 Julia would not fall asleep on Richard's back (despite going to bed at 10:30).
 We stopped at a water hole and the kids roamed in the water and walked on logs.  They didn't want to leave.  Neither did I actually!
 Amy and Amber.  Very patriotic.
 Rich made a rock slide for the kids.  He's always so fun.
 Lots of shallow water to climb around in!
 Gavin after going down the rock slide.  He didn't want his picture taken.
 Richard and I!
 A family picture!  So nice to have someone to take a group picture for us!
 Kelby and Amy's crew.  It took bribery with food to get this picture!

 On the way up I told the story of Mulan.  On the way back Richard told the story of beauty and the beast.  Disney assists us in our hiking adventures.  Evan wanted to be the first one back (and he was).  Gavin and Anna stuck by richard so they could hear the story.  Amber stuck by her mom and dad so she could look for  GOLD (pyrite).
 Since Julia was asleep I decided to walk home.  It was a perfect day for a hike, so everyone else decided to walk home with me!  HOlbrook canyon is right across from the bountiful temple, so we got in a good temple photo op while we were at it.

 Look at those dirty bums!
 The view of the salt lake valley on the way home from the hike.
 After pizza dinner at grandmas and a movie we headed home.  Anna did NOT want to go home (or go to bed).  Honestly, neither did I.  Cleaning up after a camping/hiking/backpacking trip is the pits!

 But we had the house in "ship" shape by 9 and went to bed by 9:30.  The girls slept till 7:30, so that was nice!

We are loving renting.  It allows us so much time to play!  If I could go back in time and live in Oregon again I would so rent an apartment so we could have more time to play.  But as the girls get older we will probably have to find a more permanent place to live.

No comments: