Saturday, May 10, 2014

bad hair day

I haven't cut my hair since Julia was born.  Julia turned 2 in March.  It was time.  The split ends were taking over.  Being the tight wad I am, I looked on groupon and called every salon that offered a deal.  Not one salon answered their phone and not one called me back: I left 15 voicemails.  I got frustrated at that point and googled "salon near 84124."  I found one right down the street across from Olympus high.  I called and they got me an appointment on Saturday at 10:30.

As I walked into the salon, I was surprised to run into my 85 year old neighbor, who was headed into the same salon for her weekly perm.  Something inside me said "this is NOT the place!"  When we stepped inside, my suspicion was validated as I found my self surrounded by women sitting under hair dryers with big fat rollers in their white hair.  Seriously.  Lots of old ladies.  I wanted to run, but I had made the apt. and I wasn't going to ditch this lady that came in on Saturday morning for me.

I wish I wouldn't have been so thoughtful.  I sat in the geriatric hair unit for 1.5 hours while this woman attempted to cut my hair.  I have A LOT of hair.  It's wavy and thick.  If you don't know what you are doing, I end up looking like the lady in the Dilbert comic strip (triangle hair).  The lady must have liked the dilbert look, because when she was done I looked like an fuzzy Egyptian pyramid.  Thank goodness I have a little more guts than I used to....I told the lady to keep cutting because it didn't look right.  She kept going - then she attempted to style it using almost a whole bottle of hairspray and about a gallon of some "frizz taming serum."  I almost never use hairspray at home.  By the time I got home, my hair was bigger and frizzier than it would have been if I got struck by lightening.  I cried.  Anna and Julia were very concerned.

After washing out all the hairspray and taming it down, it didn't look so bad.  I don't know why I had to cry.  I Just hate getting my hair cut.  It's traumatic.  I remember crying almost every time I got it cut when I was a kid.  Everyone has things they are crazy about - this is just one of mine.  I hope that before I die I'll find a way to enjoy getting my hair cut. The first step might be to do it more often than every 2 years.

This comic is stupid, but here is the triangle hair:



2 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh man! I'm so sorry! I've cried after multiple adult haircuts too, so I know your pain. Thankfully, I love my stylist now so it's not traumatic anymore, but I still almost never like my haircuts for the first couple of days. You should ask around your new ward for suggestions when you get settled. Good luck!

Trina said...

I am so sorry!!! You should go to my niece next time! She will give you a great haircut!