Sunday, September 8, 2013

great grandma heiner and the intermittent springs

Rich volunteered for logan-to-jackson bike race on saturday.  His station was in Afton WY so we decided to visit my grandma heiner for the weekend.  It was wonderful to see her.  She is an amazing cook and always so kind and wise with her words.  I learn something new from her every time I go.  This time I learned some things about her life.  I knew her husband Clayton died when she was about 30 and pregnant with their 7th child.  I did not know that her sisters husband died one year later almost to the day!  She was a strong woman.  She also told me she got married when she was 17 and 1/2.  She had "been going with" Clayton for 2 years.  She said "figure that one out..."  "I was very young!"  Anyways I didn't get a picture of her with the girls but Anna loves her 'new' grandma heiner (as she calls her) and we love spending time in the beautiful star valley mountains.  Our favorite part is the coooool air.....and grandmas cookies.  We went for a hike Saturday morning up past the Suters and got some excellent picutres.



 This is a view of my grandpa's farm taken from the east.
 We are walking to the north of the field just east of the house here.



loooong shadows!  Grandpa's house is on the left.  When we got back richard started looking for jobs in Afton.  He found an RD job for me at the hospital, but nothing for him.  hmmm maybe someday.

My cousin Holly lives up there with her parents.  She's a single mom with 4 kids.  She is a wild thing and she took me on a little hike up in Afton.  It was such a fun time.  I think anna looks a lot alike these cousins.  the spring we hiked to is "intermitting" - which means it turns on and off.  Its crazy, about every 5 minutes it turns off, just like a fake waterfall.  Its a fun hike if you are ever in Afton.








No comments: